Coconut Joan

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Photo safari

My family is more a New Years family than a Christmas family, which is why I had a quiet Christmas Eve. I went on my first photo safari for the break and spent most of the time at a primary school playground. There were some kids playing there. They would have made good photos but I didn't want to be "a scary woman".

My photos are in my Flickr album, 'Around the neighbourhood'.

The only one I wanted to put up here is '326'. I've wanted to take this photo for a long time. There is something diverting about an empty block still guarded by its letterbox.



Who would post letters to an empty block?

7 Comments:

Michael said...

It's kind of scary - like there's a ghost house there or something, and if you post something there, the inhabitants will haunt you. Or some such horror story. Oh what a setting. ANyhow.

Merry Christmas!

mscipher said...

I really enjoy your photos. Did you take up photography courses or you just naturally talented? I love how you seem to pick up details that people often overlooked.

Happy holidays!

joanium said...

Hi misscipher. I'm pleased you like my photos. I haven't had any training, although I read photography books. I would like to do a photo course in the future.

I wish I could take photos that are more like 'artwork'. I've found some fascinating photos from Eyecatcher, a Sydney-based photographer. I especially enjoyed his Melbourne set because I recognised a lot of it.

mscipher said...

Just out of curiosity, how do you reduce your photo size without losing the quality (resolution)? Did you use any program?

joanium said...

Hi misscipher.

For photos I put on my blog posts, I use Blogger's post picture feature, which automatically scales the photos down to small, medium or large depending on your choice.

For Flickr, I use the Flickr uploader, which gives you the option to scale photos to different sizes.

Otherwise, normally I use the Gimp for graphics editing.

I hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

i think the letterbox gaurding the empty block of land is there for tax reasons...

ultrasonix

joanium said...

Really? You would know, ultrasonix. I'm interested in your theory. Please tell :)