Coconut Joan

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Silen'ces'

The pronunciation of names in UK English is messed up. 'Magdalene' is pronounced 'Maudlin'. 'Edinburgh' is pronounced 'Edinbra'. You can count on the 'w' being superfluous: 'Norwich' is 'Norrich', 'Berwick' is 'Berrick', 'Warwick' is 'Warrick', 'Bromwich' is 'Bromich'.

Interestingly, 'Sandwich' is not 'Sandich'.

The thing that drives me nuts is the 'ces' syllable, which is completely absent in speech.

Gloucester = Gloster
Leicester = Lester
Worcester = Wooster

I was complaining about this to Owen. Owen was saying, 'I was in this town near Oxford, it had a ridiculous name...'

'Oh! I KNOW! Bister!' I jumped in, naming the town spelt 'Bicester'. 'Look, I can handle Gloster and Lester and even Wooster. But Bister, that's just perverse!'

'It's better than Toaster,' Owen said calmly.

'Toaster?'

'Yes, there's another town called Toaster -- T O W C E S T E R.'

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you read Bill Bryson’s Mother Tongue? That had a whole chapter on that… it was an amusing book (even if it was a little drawn out).